Victorian Nursing Rocker with Stool

This is a Victorian nursing rocker that was given to me by a friend of ours.  She was out on her walk one day when she came upon it laying out for the trash.  The front edge of the seat was completely off and laying to the side.  It was damaged at the seams with gaping holes where the old screws were attached and barely hanging on.

Nothing that a little Quikwood couldn't handle!

After using nearly a whole tube sealing up the holes left in the front rounded edges of the wood and sanding her down, she was ready for a quick paint job.


All the old upholstery was taken off and I gave her two coats of a combination of ASCP Graphite and Paris Grey mixed.


There was something missing though.  Couldn't put my finger on it until I noticed this lonely little stool I had stashed in the corner of my work room for a "rainy day".  It was quite appropriate since we have been have enthralled into the "2nd coming of Noah's Flood" around here for WEEKS!  I swear Auburn and Seattle, WA switched weather patterns.  So, since it was raining, it was time to do something with the footstool.   So I brought it over, pulled off the old upholstery and gave it the same two coats of paint.



This little chair had seen rough times - she needed a friend to go with her!

Once painted, the seat just popped out so I redid the cotton batting and covered it with new muslin.  The same was done on the footstool as well.



I like that smooth look!

I had already purchased some vintage-style velvet upholstery for it.  All that was left to do was put her on!




Here's where I spend the next day or two deciding whether or not to add gimp around the edges.  I gave in and did even though it did look unique without it.  I chose a rose patterned gimp (it matched the rose embellishment at the top of the chair).  Since it was rather narrow, I doubled up on it.  In other words, I went around twice.

I liked it!  
It looked perfect for either a Princess' room or a nursery.


Notice the little dry brushing I did with Old White....









"Thanks Teresa" for the chair.  I'm glad you rescued her for me to re-do!

Now I'm off to finish another piece for a client.  She loved the End Chest I did and now I'm doing a buffet for her.

Till then......




Find this also on:








Furniture Feature Fridays

Green Willow Pond

Comments

  1. Great job! I'm going to do an upholstery piece soon and this is so inspiring. ~di

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this little chair and foot stool. will be checking out some of your older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did with this forlorn little chair! That footstool is perfect with it. I'd love it if you would share this at "What We Accomplished Wednesday," at Green Willow Pond. It is live right now. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read